Access Statement for Remus Horse Sanctuary
The aim of this access statement is to describe our facilities and the services that we offer our guests and visitors.
Remus Memorial Horse Sanctuary is a registered charity, no: 1134951 providing rescue, respite and rehabilitation to over 200 animals including horses, ponies, donkeys, sheep, goats, cows and cats. Negligence and abuse can be physical or mental, be it as a result or ignorance or malicious intent.
The Sanctuary is open to the public for six open days on the first Sunday of each month between May and October, along with our Afternoon Teas and other special events and workshops. We offer a fun learning experience for all ages and the entrance fee varies according to the event. We serve refreshments including hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, cakes and ice cream.
We are a working yard and therefore, please note that the ground can be uneven at times, subject to the weather. We do provide a wheelchair accessible toilet and, if required, disabled parking is available near the yard. Dogs are welcome on a lead. Please note that we are a no-smoking facility.
If you have any queries, require any assistance or further access information, please telephone: 01277 356191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are located along Buttsbury (2.1 miles from the A12 Ingatestone by-pass)
- Satellite navigation postcode CM4 9NZ (sign posted to Little Farm).
- If you’re approaching from either Mountnessing or Billericay, then Buttsbury is a continuation of Mountnessing Road, and passes over the Ford. Little Farm can be found on the right hand side once you have passed over the Ford. If you reach the Church you’ve gone too far.
- If you’re approaching from Stock, then Buttsbury can be found at the junction of Stock Road and Ingatestone Road. Little Farm can be found on the left hand side just after Ingatestone Road. If you reach the Ford, you’ve gone too far.
- If you’re approaching from Ingatestone, then Buttsbury can be found at the junction of Stock Lane and Ingatestone Road. Little Farm can be found on the left hand side just after Ingatestone Road. If you reach the Ford, you’ve gone too far.
- We are not accessible by public transport, although the nearest train stations are Ingatestone (1.9 miles from the Sanctuary) and Billericay (2.6 miles from the Sanctuary).
- Mayflower Taxis can be found at Rail Station, Radford Way, Billericay, Essex CM12 0BP. Telephone: 01277 624000.
- As the roads leading to the Sanctuary are prone to flooding, please check our website or contact us if you are planning to visit after heavy rain or bad weather in order to check accessibility.
- On arrival you will be asked to clean your hands with a gel sanitiser which we provide.
- Free parking is available and, if required, disabled parking is available near the yard.
- Coaches and minibuses are welcome although please contact us prior to arrival to ensure we have reserved a suitable space for you.
- There are some pathways around the Sanctuary although the ground can be uneven in places so please be aware when using wheelchairs or prams.
- Please visit our website for full details of our events and opening times.
- We are open to the public six days of the year on the first Sunday of every month between May and October, weather permitting. In addition to our animals, we offer a variety of competitions and games to entertain the whole family, along with music from Midnite Blu. Our July and September events include a fun Dog Show. Dogs are welcome at all of our Open Days on a lead. Refreshments are available all afternoon including hot and cold drinks, sandwiches and cakes. We also have a variety of stalls selling gifts, books, bric-a-brac and a raffle. St John’s Ambulance attend our Open Days.
- We organise six Afternoon Teas throughout the year between May and October. Pre-booking is essential, please ask for dates or visit our website. Dogs are not allowed at our Afternoon Teas (unless assistance dogs).
- We organise a variety of adult workshops, predominantly for complementary therapies both for animals and for people. Please ask for details or visit our website.
- There is one main unisex toilet on site with another portable toilet installed for our events.
- Our main toilet is wheelchair friendly and contains handrails.
- There are hand washing facilities around the Sanctuary including sanitising gels, recommended for use in between hand washing.
- We offer a variety of gifts for sale including our membership and sponsorship packages. Please ask for details. Alternatively, you can shop online via our website.
- The Sanctuary has a no-smoking policy.
- Assistance dogs are welcome at the Sanctuary and other dogs on leads, subject to the event.
- We have first-aiders on site and first aid facilities available at all times in a private designated area. St John’s Ambulance are present at our Open Days.
- The Sanctuary is a sugar-free yard, so no carrots or apples for the animals please. They do, however, love cabbage, celery and broccoli etc!
- We welcome gifts for the raffle, for sale and for recycling. You can find out more about this on our website here.
Address: Remus Memorial Horse Sanctuary, Little Farm, Buttsbury, Near Ingatestone, Essex CM4 9NZ.
Telephone: 01277 356191.