Year of the horse – Year of the horse welfare crisis
The Country is in the grip of a horse crisis. Every day horses are dying and suffering and the Authorities seem powerless to help them. In this The Year of The Horse we have to make every effort possible to change things for these gentle and humble creatures. This is our one chance to show that the people of this Country care passionately about the welfare of horses. Please sign and share this petition as much as you can. We are their only voice!
Every day horses are dying and suffering across the Country and the Authorities seem powerless to help them. In this The Year of The Horse we have to make every effort possible to change things for these gentle and humble creatures. This is our one chance to show that the people of this Country care passionately about the welfare of horses.
Recently I stood on the side of a road with horses in the most awful conditions, a dead pony behind me, a pony stuck up to its belly in mud and the RSPCA Inspector said – ‘I cant do anything’ This is crazy – our laws need changing now Our Welfare Groups need to be able to act to help horses BEFORE they die. We are putting hay out for many of these horses just to keep them alive until the situation changes. All welfare Organisations are at the end of their tether. Action has to start now to save and protect these innocent creatures
What needs to be done
Already the National Welfare Organisations have put together some excellent Reports on the current situation regarding different options that need to be put in place to alleviate the suffering and they include;
- Criminal legislation is needed to punish fly grazers and act as a deterrent to prevent them using local Authorities as a horse disposal service
- Amend the Animals Act 1971 so that Authorities can dispose of fly grazed or abandoned horses other than through markets or auctions, where at present the Authorities have to fund the microchipping and passporting of these animals only for them to be purchased back extremely cheaply by the very owners who left them in the first place, only now they are worth more because the Authorities have microchipped and passported them
- Mandatory microchipping of horses and a presumption on the part of the law that a horse has no owner if it is not does not have a microchip or passport
- Defra to expedite negotiations with Ireland and France to restrict the Tripartite Agreement which currently allows free movement between the UK and these countries, creating welfare problems, facilitating crime where horses are used as cover and opening the door to equine disease
- Proper enforcement of the passport and microchipping laws
- The creation of a central equine database
Our thanks to the work of these National Organisations for the effort they have put into the various reports that are presently before Parliament
What you can do
Get involved. Add your voice to help these horses.
- Make a donation to help us to get food and care to these animals to at least give them a fighting chance
- Sign our Petition at https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/year-of-the-horse-year-of-the-hor…
- Can you monitor horses in your area?
- Report horses that you are concerned about to us
- Are there other ways that you can help? If so please let us know. All help gratefully received
- Write to your MP. Local Councillor. Make as much noise as you can
In this The Year of The Horse it is important that we prevent the suffering of these noble animals by tightening up the existing legislation. If we don’t make enough noise now then we condemn these animals to a lifetime of misery. This is our one chance to be their voice
Together we can help make suffering on this scale a thing of the past. Please for their sake ACT NOW
Get involved – Email us now
Report a Horse/ Horses that you are concerned about – Email us now